Monday 14 September 2009

The Bible - The Word of God? Update

Since writing about this my thinking has undergone a slight change. The sharp eyed among you may have spotted that might have noticed that my finally paragraph has gained another sentence: “It tells the story of God’s relationship with the Jews leading up to the climatic moment of the crucifixion.

This comes from a slightly different way of looking at the Bible. We often look at the Old Testament as telling the story of the Jews and the New Testament as telling the story of Jesus, a Jew. However if we look at the Bible as telling God’s Story (something that I have recently found helpful) we in effect have “The Word’s Story” which I think I prefer to The Word of God.

I believe that God the Holy Spirit can speak to us through the Bible in ways we cannot understand or foretell, surprising us and pointing us to Jesus, God in human form, and guiding us to live our lives like His. It tells the story of God’s relationship with the Jews leading up to the climatic moment of the crucifixion. In view of this I believe that reading and studying the Bible are an important part of the Christian life.

No comments: